HPA Training Language, Literacy & Numeracy Policy (LLN)
Language, literacy and numeracy skills are critical to almost all areas of work. This is particularly true in many vocations where language, literacy and numeracy skills influence the performance of workplace tasks such as measuring, weighing and comprehending written work instructions.
Research has indicated that many adult learners do not have the language, literacy and numeracy skills they need to effectively participate in vocational education and training. The increasing importance of employ-ability skills such as communication and problem solving in the workplace highlight the need for underpinning language, literacy and numeracy skills.
This procedure will ensure that HPA Training will be compliant with regard to standards for NVR Registered Training Organisations.
This procedure applies to all prospective students.
To support this approach HPA Training will:
- Assess a student’s language, literacy and numeracy skills during their pre-enrolment to ensure they have adequate skills to complete the training;
- Support students during their study with training and assessment materials and strategies that are easily understood and suitable to the level of the workplace skills being delivered;
- Provide clear information to students about the detail of the language, literacy and numeracy assistance available;
- Refer students to external language, literacy and numeracy support services that are beyond the support available within HPA Training and where this level of support is assessed as necessary; and
- Negotiate an extension of time to complete training programs if necessary. Refer to an external LLN expert https://www.readingwritinghotline.edu.au/for-learners/
Reading Writing Hotline 1300655506